Tuesday, March 11, 2008

To the Younger Generation of Music Fans, You Suck!

Going into last Friday night, I was assured that I was in the top 10% of Yellowcard fans, based on my own standards. Any person who calls themself a "fan" of a particular band should have a familiarity with the band's music, past and present. I have a problem with people becoming fans of a band because the local radio DJ says they're good, and they heard some songs on the radio. If you go into a Yellowcard concert and stand there looking confused when they play Rough Draft, Sureshot, Rock Star Land, Cigarette, and Avondale because you've never heard them before, you are NOT a fan. I don't care how many times you heard Ocean Avenue and Lights and Sounds singles on the radio, you are NOT a fan. When Ryan Key comes out on stage by himself and plays possibly the greatest song he's ever written, Rough Draft, and you stand there staring in confusion cause you've never heard it before, you should lose your spot at the edge of the stage, cause you do NOT deserve it. We, in the top 10%, sang EVERY line to EVERY song, while you stood there, resting your arms on the stage, just watching. And when I asked you for a chance to stand at the stage for ONE song, you deny me my EARNED right to be there. I have been a loyal Yellowcard fan since One For the Kids was a new album, when you were in elementary school; I have purchased every album, while you just downloaded a couple of radio hits, or copied a CD from your friend; I have faithfully been to as many Yellowcard shows as I have been able to (4), this was your first cause your high school buddies convinced your mom to let you go; I know the history and names of all the band members, you just know them as the guys with the violin player. In short, you don't deserve to stand there with all your high school buddies on the edge of the stage, while me and my top 10% have to stand a few feet back. If you came to watch, go sit on a bench in the back, I came to rock and sing along to my favorite band, of which I am a loyal and true "fan." Being friends with a band on MySpace doesn't make you a fan. Take some time, do some research and be familiar with a band before you claim to be fan. I am all about spreading the fan base, and sharing my favorite band with others, but don't disrespect, or even start to think that you have anything close to my passion for their music.

To my vindication, after the show, Ryan Mendez (lead guitarist) personally thanked me for singing along to EVERY song.

So next month, when I drive to Boise to see the same show (it was that good), be prepared for the concert, you'll enjoy it better, and the rest of us might even show you some respect.

"I'm finding my own words, my own little stage, my own epic drama, my own scripted page; I'll send you the rough draft, I'll seal it with tears, maybe you'll read it and I'll reappear. From the start it was shaky and the characters rash, a nice setting for heartache where emotions come last; all I have deep inside to overcome these desires are friendly intentions and fair-weather smiles."
Learn it, love it, live it.

The End....for now.

No comments: