Friday, January 30, 2009

New Job

After months of job hunting, and lots of cold leads, I finally was hired on at a company called DirectPointe, in Lindon, UT at the beginning of December. They are and IT Solutions company, building and managing networks for small to medium size businesses, specializing in the medical and education sectors. My job title is Customer Support Engineer. I do network support, mostly over internet chat, for our clients. Right now I am working on the night shift, 10-12 hours a night, 4 nights a week. I really like my job. Even when I am exhausted and want to sleep at night, I'm still happy to go to work. The money is good, and I have full benefits, with room to move around within the company. I really enjoy the work as well, and have learned quite a bit about networking. However, the biggest thing I've learned is that I have alot more to learn. My body is getting used to the new sleep schedule, but not the new eating schedule. I was surprised how stubborn my body is to change eating habits. I usually eat meals at 7pm before I go to work, between 2 and 3am for my lunch break, and a small breakfast before I go to bed in the morning (usually between 8 and 9am). It has been rather difficult to get used to this, as I am constantly sick to my stomach after nearly every meal. I have started to figure out a few things to prevent me from getting ill, but its trial and error. Hopefully I'll get a handle on it soon, as it is no fun being sick to my stomach all the time.

Besides work, I haven't been doing much. My social life has suffered, cause I work Thurs-Sun nights, so I miss out on a lot of stuff. But I am happy to be working, and to finally have money. I am quickly paying off my debts, and once I do, I have a few treats to buy for myself. However, I think I'll try saving money to buy stuff, instead of buying it with the bank's money. It sucks when they ask for it all back.

So work is good, life is good, and 2009 is looking to be a much better year for me than 2008 was.

No comments: